Have eReaders made you read more or less?

Like with most new technology, I fought getting a Kindle for the longest time, falling back on the standard argument you hear from all holdouts; "but I like the feel of a book." And as with every other new technology I finally gave in to (cd and dvd players, smartphones, laptops), I don't know how I ever lived without it. I take my Kindle everywhere. It's great always having my books handy. If I finish one while I'm away from home, I can just pull up another one.

 But the best part of owning a Kindle (or any eReader) is that it encourages you to read more, something every writer should do.How else can you expose yourself to the best of what's available in the world of words? I find I read at least two books a week now, many of them indie books, because they're so accessible. I spend a couple of hours on Amazon every week trolling for new stuff and downloading samples, most of which turn into purchases for these writers. Most indie books sell for $.99 to $3.99, which, by any calculation, is a bargain worth taking a chance on. Granted, you might find the occasional stinker in there, but that's the great part about eReaders. You can read a sample before you buy. Face it, how many businesses give out free samples these days?

For the most part, I've been pleasantly surprised by both the quality and the originality of the ebooks I've read. Stuff that, ten years ago, probably never would have seen the light of day because it didn't fit into some publisher's business model. I can overlook a few typos or grammatical faux pas for a good story, especially considering that even traditionally published books aren't flawless. Think of indie writers as the garage bands of literature--raw, original, and uncensored--and eReaders the van that brings them to your hometown.

If you're still sitting on the fence about buying an eReader, you can always sample that, too. Just download Kindle for PC. It's the same interface, and you can sync it to your smartphone as well. And later, when you decide to buy (and you will), you can sync all your samples and purchases to your eReader.

As far as I'm concerned, there has never been a better time to be a reader or a writer--especially an independent writer. I've read stuff I never would have considered before because it's so easily available, and that, in turn, has influenced and enriched my writing. How about you? Does your eReader make you read more? Write better? Or are you still holding out?

Comments

Popular Posts