Plugging another indie writer

I just finished the Zero Sight series by B. Justin Shier and I have to say, this is one of the best new writers I've read. For those of you who haven't heard of or read his Zero Sight series, B (as he prefers to be known)  is a med student who writes in his spare time. I can't even imagine where he finds that spare time, but if his doctoring is as good as his writing, he'll have some lucky patients.

The series centers around Dieter Resnick, a Las Vegas kid cursed with the Sight that allows him to see what's coming before it gets there, among other things. There's a lot more to Dieter than meets the eye, and B does a great job of bringing the reader into his world.

I loved the characters in these books. So much, in fact, I read the first book, Zero Sight, in two days, then downloaded and read the second one in a single day. It helped that I was home sick at the time, but what a great way to distract me from the aches and pains of the flu.

The odd thing, for me, about reading these books is the sense of kismet I got. I'm sure other writers have had this happen to them as well. You're working on a book and you read something in another book that mirrors something in your own. In this instance, there were aspects of Dieter's character that run parallel to my own current WIP's character, Laec Matthews. It kind gave me this weird sense of deja vu for a minute.I don't want to go into details, but anyone who read both would know what I was talking about. Suffice it to say, those parts were written in my book before I read this one, so I guess I can console myself with the old adage, "great minds think alike."

If you're looking for some new urban fantasy with a new voice and a different spin, check out the Zero Sight series.

Comments

Popular Posts