Another year older...

Okay, it's that time of year again. Birthday Eve, and the approach of this one has been particularly hard because it will be the first birthday I've spent without either of my parents in the world. As difficult as the holidays were this past season, this milestone is worse. You don't really think about it, but for most of us, our parents are the ones who are always there. Who always remember your birthday even when no one else does. The fact that I no longer have that really hit home when I checked the mail today and found no card from them, and I realized there will never be another one.

I remember back to my birthday two years ago, the last one when I still had both of them. It was what I still call the four-cake birthday. First my kids made me a cake, then my co-workers bought one, then some friends gave me one, and then I went over to my parents' house and my father had bought this huge cake as a surprise. I was so caked out I could barely stand the sight of it for awhile, but now I'd give anything to have a slice of that huge cake again.

So my gift to you on this birthday eve is treasure the ones you love, because they are the greatest gift you could ever receive.

Comments

Popular Posts