Where are all the superheroes in novels?

So, last night I'm watching a rerun of Castle, and the episode was about a vigilante super hero with a sword (majorly cool, btw). And it got me thinking...there are a metric ton of graphic novels and comic books about super heroes, but how many actual novels are there? I'm not talking paranormal characters with supernatural powers, but average guys in tights with secret identities. I've seen a few comedic treatments of the subject, where a guy wanted to be a superhero but was more a clumsy joke. However, try as I might, I couldn't come up with a serious novel on the subject, though admittedly, I didn't really research it. If anyone else is aware of any, please let me know.

But thinking about it made me want to write a superhero story. Maybe not a novel, but a novella, for a start (I'd say short story, but I'm too long-winded). The more I thought about it, the more intrigued I became. And then I started wondering of I could approach it from a different angle. Not the typical guy loses parents or suffers chemical reaction and develops super powers and becomes a vigilante formula, but something a little more unique.

I haven't quite figured out the angle, but it's percolating up there now. Watching that episode, when the sword slashes out of the darkness in the alley and the costumed character runs up the wall, flips over his pursuer, and jumps on his bike and speeds away got my adrenaline going. Who doesn't love superheroes?

Naturally, this will have to go in my Yet To Be Written pile, which currently includes books 2 and 3 of the Erebus Files, books 2 and 3 of The 'Ru Lexicon, and two other standalone, as-yet unfinished novels. I think I need a clone.

On a another note, pretty stoked about going to see the midnight movie showing of Sharknado at Park Place Cinema tonight. Just being in the theater with a bunch of other cheesy horror flick junkies sounds like a blast.

Comments

Popular Posts