Simplifying the Website Conundrum



Like anyone else trying to get their name out there for fun and profit, websites are a necessary evil for writers. It was a fact I used to enjoy because I was one of the people paying the bills by creating them. Now, however, that time is past. Part of the problem, you see, is that, like any technology-based enterprise, web design requires a lot of time. Not so much in coding and designing--though that is a concern--as in keeping up with the latest advancements in coding and designing. The swell folks over at the W3C, which is the governing body for all things web-related, are in a constant state of flux, scrambling about to ensure design standards keep pace with the ever-evolving technology at our command.

Which brings me to the point of this post. As I get older, I find that I would rather use the time I spend in front of a computer working on my writing. Truth is, I'm liking that computer time less and less these days. Life is going on out there, and while I can view it safely from my trusty office chair, I'm realizing I'd prefer not to. Maybe it's all those years of working in a corporate cubicle farm, but I'm getting a little PC LOAD LETTER on the whole sitting-at-a-desk-staring-at-a-screen thing. Which means I'm looking to streamline my web presence. A little convenience store, one stop shopping mentality, if you will.

We have evolved into a world of immediate gratification, and in that world, a static website is like art on a wall: pretty, but irrelevant. People want their content to be current and ever-changing, which means things like blogs and social media rule the web waves now. So I've decide to forego the time and expense to maintain my aj-church.com site in favor of migrating everything to this blog and my Random Sh!t Nobody Cares About blog, which is basically my repository of novel excerpts and short stories.

Judging by my traffic numbers, this decision won't create any massive waves of concern among either the writing or web community, but I thought making an announcement would be prudent. You know, just in case.

So, from now on, any writing related news in my world will be conducted here at ajchurch-nytwriter.blogspot.com. Short, sweet, and free.


Comments

Popular Posts