Revisiting Old Friends

 Like any writer, I need inspiration. And being an avid reader (when I'm not writing I can read a book a day), I turn to books for a lot of my inspiration. And lately I'm revisiting some of the series that have inspired me in writing my current project, The Sacrifice series. 

Among those are Kate Griffin's (the pen name of Catherine Webb) Matthew Swift books (A Madness of Angels, Midnight Mayor, The Neon Court, and The Minority Council). I love this series, and this author's voice. She's like a marriage of Neil Gaiman and William Faulkner. Her approach to magic is so refreshingly unique, and her prose never fails to inspire me to write more descriptively because sometimes I tend to rush to the action without lingering over the details.

The second series I've started rereading is Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series. I love the character of Cal Leandros. There's a little of him in Laec, with his snark and badassery. Whenever I find myself straying from Laec's voice, I pick up Rob Thurman and that kind of gives me a course correction.

The third series I'm rereading is M.R. Forbes's Divine series. I love the play between demons and angels here, and Landon Hamilton is an unlikely hero who's been put in an impossible situation, but he's making the most of it. This series was a big inspiration for me when I was plotting out The Sacrifice series and looking at demons and angels in a nontraditional light.

These are the three series that are currently populating my reading list. For most of them, this is my third or fourth (or more) reading of the books, but just like rewatching a favorite movie, I never get tired of rereading a favorite book or series.

Comments

Popular Posts